Ladies Philoptochos Society of St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Philoptochos is a Greek word which means “friends of the poor” – not only poor in financial resources, but also the poor in spirit, the poor in health, the poor in companionship, and the poor in emotional stability. The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, is the women’s philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Canada. The mission of the Society shall be:
- To aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts; and
- To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Canada, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources;
- To preserve and perpetuate Greek Orthodox Christian concepts and the Greek Orthodox Christian Family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs;
- To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community, with the cooperation of the Presiding Priest and the Church Community Council.
- The charitable work of the Society shall be performed with discretion, courtesy and kindness.
- Our emphasis is to help our fellow parishioners and our Vancouver region. We strive to do this through regular Church-wide community service projects and other events.
We strive to do this through regular Church-wide community service projects and other events. These activities have included the following: Fellowship Luncheons, outreach to local hospitals, shelters and food banks and supporting our community youth programs.